Sometime during the week of Spring Break, I got a phone call from my old friend Anna. She said, "Is there anyway that you might be able to swing a trip to Chicago during the weekend of April 10th?"
Ummmm... let's see!
Back up for a second: Anna & I had been roommates when we studied abroad in Rome, and we have intermittently kept in touch... but the last time I had seen her was 2008 (!!!). Around Christmastime this past year, Anna & I had gone back and forth with the possibility of getting together with our friend Beth prior to her baby due late-June. When Anna called in March, I had about 3 weeks notice to try to make this happen. I convinced Cory, he gave me his blessing (and he even decided to take a day off to help me make it happen, and wound up taking the girls up to Sundance that weekend), and I was on my way to reconnect with some old college friends.
Casey offered to host us all in her amazing home. It had been about 10 years since I'd seen Casey--since Beth & Brendan's wedding in 2005.
All of these photos are out of order due to how I downloaded things. The general gist of the weekend went like this: On Friday, Casey picked me up at Midway & brought me downtown to treat me to lunch (Mario Batali's place called Eataly), then back to Old Irving Park where Casey lives. I got to meet Casey's two darlings--3 1/2 year old twins Sebastian and Camila. Friday night, Beth battled traffic and not long after she arrived at Casey's, she & I headed out to O'Hare to pick up Anna who arrived from LA. We returned to Casey's and sipped wine and gabbed, and even had a visit from another old friend, Tara, who also attended the Rome Center with all of us.
Saturday was a yummy breakfast cooked by Casey followed by a trip to... Wait for it... THE SPA. We went downtown to The Chuan Spa at the Langham hotel and it was dreamy. Beth & I had massages at 12, so I did a bit of the "Water Treatment" prior to my massage (a series of saunas & steam, I assume it has something to do with releasing toxins or something, but it felt WONDERFUL). During my massage, my masseuse Renee was amazing and upon finishing she THANKED ME. I obviously told her, "Oh, I should be thanking you!" She said, "No, it's really a pleasure to work on someone who really appreciates my work and has such GOOD ENERGY." So, yeah, I rock at getting touched by strangers. Don't mind if I do!!! After our heavenly spa time & gab fest, we headed back to Casey's and got ready for the evening out. We went to Francesca's in Little Italy, and it was deeee-lish. Also worth noting is that Bethy, in her current state of preggers, was our chauffeur and carted us around throughout the weekend in her hot little mini-van. That night, we went downtown to a place called [insert weird name] and it was right across from Millenium Park. After that, we returned to Casey's house and not long after, I hit the hay.
Sunday morning was another gift of yummy food cooked by Casey, and not long after that, Anna's brother David arrived to visit with us and pick up Anna. Our friend Kathleen came by around that same time, and introduced us to her partner Becca and their little sweet one, Benjamin. David took Anna away from some sibling time and the rest of us headed up to Rogers Park to see the Loyola Campus. It had been ages since most of us had seen any of the campus, and it had changed a lot. Major construction had taken place, a huge multi-story building on campus was torn down and a more architecturally consistent one was erected in its place. The campus had expanded along the lakeshore, and much of that looked very modern. It was cool to see how things had changed.
OH--Also--Sunday was my birthday, and everyone was so sweet to me! Beth offered to drive me from Loyola back down to Midway, and we were cutting it close but all went well. I made it on the flight and even ran into an old colleague from Advocates fro Children, Paige, on the flight. When I returned home, the girls were outside waiting for the shuttle van to drop me off, singing, "Mom's Home! Mom's Home!" Cory had pizza and a cake waiting for me for dinner!
All in all, great weekend, great birthday, so good to catch up with old friends.
.JPG) |
| Celebrating my birthday at Francesca's |
.JPG) |
| Casey's amazing kitchen |
 |
| At the spa |
.JPG) |
| Celebrating the wee one at Francesca's |
.JPG) |
| In Casey's living/dining area for brunch on Sunday |
 |
| At Francesca's |
.JPG) |
| At Francesca's |
.JPG) |
| In Casey's kitchen--with Kathleen, Becca, Anna, Benjamin, Casey, me & Beth (David took the photo) |
.JPG) |
| Bethy & I in front of Madonna della Strada |
.JPG) |
| Out at the [insert fancy name here] on Saturday night (photobomber included) |
.JPG) |
| Casey on campus |
.JPG) |
| Sebastian and Camila |
.JPG) |
| At the spa |
.JPG) |
| In the sauna |
 |
| That is one sweet ride |
 |
| Tara, Beth, Anna & Casey |
3 comments:
What a great recap of our incredible weekend. Still on a high from seeing all of you. Love you! - Case PS- The Gage (insert in all of your missing spots)
AHHHH! The Gage!!! You are awesome!!!
Love it! Wonderful memories of a perfect weekend! Nice to see this blog is still up & running. I remember when you started it years ago:)- love, Bethy
Post a Comment