On Tuesday, September 1, I wanted to take a bike ride over to Lacey's house so that I could walk Penny. Cory helped me pump up my tires and I got a few things to carry in my basket--cell phone, water bottle, keys to Lacey's house, etc. What a gorgeous morning! I rode over there, walked Penny for a mile, and set out back home. On my bike ride back, I was riding on the Spring Creek Trail behind the baseball diamonds at Edora Park, and I felt my bike slip after I took a small bridge. I stuck my leg out to catch me, which turned out to be a horrible decision. I knew right away that I broke it. (If you are a gore-lover, feel free to ask me questions, but I'll leave most of the details out of the story.)
There was a sweet angel on the trail, named Alex.*
Alex came walking up to me with her two dogs, and said, "Is there anything that I can to help you?" Knowing that the fall was pretty bad, I asked Alex to call 911 and she obliged. She gave the dispatcher some details and soon the paramedics were on the way. I asked Alex to hand me my phone so that I could let Cory know what I'd done, and that I was going to be transported in an ambulance, probably to the local nearby hospital. Alex stayed with me and kept me company, and when the paramedics arrived, they quickly surmised that I was dealing with a serious injury and advised pain meds before they even moved me. Five strapping firefighters also showed up, and one of those guys simply made small talk with me to keep my mind off the injury. It didn't take long before we headed to Medical Center of the Rockies (MCR), since it was determined that the injury I sustained was "trauma" and may require the specialties of MCR rather than another hospital that was much closer to where I had the accident.
At some point in the ambulance ride, I called Cory to follow up--they were indeed taking me to MCR. He had already been waiting at the other hospital. When I got to MCR and was in the ER, any nurses and help all reacted similarly to the injury: "Ouch!" Cory got there as they were taking X-rays, one of the most excruciating parts of the entire ordeal. I tried to assure him that I was fine, and that he just happened to have bad timing--walking in at the precise moment that I was screaming my head off because the pain of them moving my leg was so terrible. After that, it was quickly determined that I would need surgery and likely a rod would be inserted into my leg--I had broken both the tibia and the fibula about 4 inches above my ankle. Cory has all the details on the procedure, but I honestly don't remember what it's called. A titanium nail was inserted into my left leg, that's about all that I could tell you. I just remember signing the paperwork that called for the "right leg" to be worked on, and despite the fentanyl and morphine on board, I caught that it was supposed to be the "left leg." Go me! I also remember that the form had a line that would describe alternatives to the surgery, only in my case it simply said: "No reasonable alternatives."
Sweet Mary.
I met the doc for about 30 seconds before they put me under and I then have a memory of waking up in the recovery room, and the intense pain that followed. Fortunately, that didn't last long and I saw Cory and I was feeling much better. I got wheeled to my room and later that night I even had a few visitors, Lacey first on her way home from work and Cory & the girls for a little while so that the girls could lay their eyes on me. I could tell that the whole experience was a bit intense for the girls. They had been picked up from school by my sweet friend Dixie, and she assured me that she had them, not to worry. She told them that I had hurt my leg and was at the doctors. I guess it hit home a bit differently when they came to the hospital and saw me laid up--quite the darn leg injury.
My time in the hospital is sort of a blur. Amazing nurses Briane and Jumer and Kayla, awesome techs who gave me a shower (Alleluia!), great PT and OT, everyone was so nice. I had visitors--Polly and Dixie both came to visit! I was truly lucky to have great medical help and wonderful support throughout this whole process, and through that I'm learning gratitude.
There were some problems finding the right painkillers, since those things are cuckoo and I like to not feel foggy when I'm trying to walk with a walker. But with the help of PT & OT, I regained some of my confidence and since being home I have only felt better and better. Sweet friends have brought me so many goodies--food, magazines, and my friend Christy even deposited all the necessary items that I'm going to need to get around (walker, shower chair, etc) in the house. I am so completely showered in kindness. Cory's mom will come for nearly a week, and then my mom will be out to help, too. When something crummy happens, it turns out that we have quite the community of support--and that sort of kindness is just so overwhelming. I'm learning what it means to be generous by taking a look at the friends who have been so kind to me throughout this process.
I spent two nights in the hospital and in that time so much has happened. I returned home and Cory had the sweetest set up for me so that I can get to the bathroom rather easily. I'm just blown away by what an amazing Mr. Mom he is--getting lunches ready, staying up late with Ruby who had a bloody nose, doing laundry, etc. He's my dream guy for sure! Love him so much!
I'll get checked out in about 10 days and at that point if everything is going well, I may be given a walking boot. Right now, I'm non-weight-bearing, so it's a bit of a challenge with all of the stairs in our house. But truly, I'll get better and things are improving day by day. The amazing support I've received is nothing short of love in action--It's truly incredible to be shown this kind of kindness.
I could go on and on, talk about Don the Chaplain and all of the little details that have already made this story a huge chapter in the story of my life, but I'll end it here with a few photos from my phone. I'm on the road to recovery, and I am so grateful for the help along the way.
![]() |
| Before I walked Penny, with the infamous bike in the background |
![]() |
| The night after surgery, with my cute new socks |
![]() |
| Pretty view from my window--if I craned my head I could see Long's Peak |
![]() |
| My fancy bracelets |
![]() |
| This is my set up now at home (photo by Lacey) |
![]() |
| Before I was released--I got released on Sept 3rd, our 9th wedding anniversary, and again, I show off my cool bracelets |
*Just a note on Alex: When the paramedics arrived, I asked them to get Alex's name and number so that I could properly thank her for her help that Tuesday morning. I know that she gave them the info and that the paramedics got that sheet to the ER, but somewhere in the chaos of the day, that slip of paper didn't stay with my belongings. I don't know if I'll ever cross paths with Alex again, but I just have to say how grateful I am for her presence that morning. She was calm, her dogs were sweet and kind. I know that the world is probably full of many Alex's, but sometimes it doesn't seem like it, so I'm very interested in recognizing her for the complete and utter selfless kindness that she showed me that morning. I really cannot thank her enough. It's because of her that I think I managed to stay in good spirits and remain in as little pain as possible. She was an angel to me that morning.






No comments:
Post a Comment