floral

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

**This post is somewhat out of order, since we are overdue for a post of Ruby's birthday on November 19th, but that will come soon!**

We spent the Thanksgiving holiday in Fort Collins, just the four of us. It was a gorgeous day, and we spent it together at home, at a restaurant, on a lovely walk and taking a drive. Our night was capped off by having a fire in the fireplace watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Some preliminary Thanksgiving prep: Scout making turkey decorations to hang in the windows

The girl knows how to make a darn good turkey!

Our two turkeys on our special Thanksgiving meal out--enjoying the ambience in the gingerbread house

Photo by Scout

Our little diners did so well at the table

The gingerbread house

We took many rides in the glass elevator

The elevators overlooked the atrium, and we took rides all the way up to the 8th floor of the hotel and back down a few times

Watching the fireplace in the gingerbread house

Drinking her chilled apple cider like such a big girl

At the entryway of the gingerbread house
There are so many things, people, places, ideas to be thankful for. We are beyond grateful for our two healthy girls. These children are so precious to us, and they remind us daily about the important things in life: family, love, togetherness, light-heartedness, innocence, joy, and sharing. Scout is our firstborn, and she taught us so much. She made us parents. Her dark brown eyes, her whimsical walk, her ability to quick-change into dress-up clothes, her newfound persuasiveness with her sister ("Ruby, don't you want to take my jewelry box and I'll take your jewelry box?"), and so much more make her who she is. Our little Ruby Jean is the "blondie" in the family, with a smile that seems almost wider than her face. She is our newly branded two-year-old with a whine nearing perfection but also a certain sweetness in her smile that almost makes you forget. She is chatty and funny, and her ability to remember names is uncanny. Ruby is our baby, but is certainly growing into a big girl before our very eyes.

I am personally thankful for many things. My husband is one of the most patient, kind and even-keeled people that I know. His presence in my life is one of security, calmness and humor. I don't say it enough--he's the best guy I know, best dad, best husband and best friend. My friends are some of the most incredible people that I know. I feel fortunate that I have been able to keep in touch with some amazing people that have crossed my path years ago, and also make new friends here in our new community. My parents and my brother are some of the most generous, supportive and loving people that I know. They would do anything for me, Cory, Scout and Ruby. They might be far away but they seem to do so much to bridge that distance and I appreciate their efforts--the packages, the notes, the emails, the visits. Likewise, my in-laws are the family that I feel fortunate to belong to--they are the family that has adopted me, warts and all, and has always made me feel welcomed. There is nothing like having extended family who can support and love you, help and encourage you. I am truly blessed. And if I can give a little nod to a material thing, I am grateful for this big, beautiful house that has been host to many memories these last 18 months. I cannot imagine a more cozy place to spend my days.

Here's to hoping that the lessons in gratitude that Thanksgiving teaches us can stay with us every day throughout the year.

1 comment:

Team Whitney said...

Ok, I seriously love this post! I love your list of things that you are thankful for and I love your family's not-by-the-book Thanksgiving meal--sounds lovely.

Your girls are too precious, Jayme and I love that we get to see a pic of you with Cory!

Oh, and I love YOU!