floral

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Our maiden voyage: first camping trip May 18-20

We set off for Carter Lake, a Larimer County recreation area, around 1:30 pm on Friday. We did so after a busy morning at preschool (Cory's first day in the classroom as a "parent helper"--kind of a big deal!). We got to our campground around 2:30 or 3 pm and it was gorgeous. We lucked out, it was a lovely day and a lovely site.
My manly man messing around with the manly hitch work

The view of our site

The two loungers--just waiting on us to set stuff up

Having a snack, shirtless

The girls' bunks

Dining table converted to our bed
On Friday night, we enjoyed the world's largest marshmallows. I think they're called "Campfire Roasters," and they are about the size of Ruby's head. They are almost as delicious as regular marshmallows, only Cory and I discovered a glitch with the Campfire Roasters straight off: Even with the perfect amount of roasting, and proper proximity to the coals, one thing remained the same--undercooked marshmallow center.

Marshmallow roasting on Friday night


Enjoying the roasting, but not the smoke (thus the sunglasses!)


On Friday night it rained and rained. We woke up to a chilly morning. Fortunately, Cory made us all a delicious breakfast on the grill. When the sun peeked out, we were able to sneak a few trips around--down to the lake and on a short walk around the campground.

Breakfast in the morning indoors

Grumpy face!

On our walk down to the beach... it was chilly!

Brrrrr!

Dad and his girls


We sought refuge in the camper after our brisk walk--and the kids curled up in the upper bunk to watch a movie

Cory and I played cribbage

Scout and I took a walk out on the pier

Another walk on the beach

A walk on a little hiking path around the campground

The view from our trail

After the rain came a rainbow

This is my girl

The fire builder

Here's us doing the dishes on Sunday morning--Scout took this picture

Leading us through the brush by the lake

Follow the leader

Sunday morning's weather was just gorgeous

Such a cute photo!

Just the two of them

Throwing rocks together


We returned home around 12:30 pm today, and I think everyone was pretty beat. Cory and I worked hard to quickly clean out the camper and get stuff organized. After we dropped the camper off at the storage place, we picked up a Papa Murphy's pizza and instituted a movie night. This camping stuff sure is fun, I'm wiped out! Off we go again in three weeks--next time we'll have the additional companion of our Beamer.

No comments: